5 Evidenced-based Ways Collagen May Improve Your Hair
Does Collagen Grow Hair Faster?
Collagen is a protein that your body uses as a building block. Your body needs collagen as a support structure. It helps strengthen and hold together your bones, skin, tendons, and ligaments.
As we age our bodies naturally begin to produce less collagen. Collagen production is also affected by excess sun exposure, smoking, drinking alcohol, lack of sleep, and lack of exercise. Decreased collagen is often pointed to as one of the primary causes of skin wrinkling as we age. Because of this collagen is often found as an ingredient in many skin products. But, our hair is also sensitive to collagen.
Let’s explore how collagen can improve hair.
- Collagen supports amino acids that build keratin. Keratin is what makes up your hair. Your body needs sources of protein called amino acids to build keratin. When you eat proteins and collagens your body uses these to make the keratin needed for hair growth.
- Collagen acts as an antioxidant. Because of its action as an antioxidant collagen fights off free radicals that are responsible for the breakdown of cells. One of the cells that are affected by free radicals is located in the hair follicle. Increasing collagen allows your body to counteract the impact of free radicals that damage hair.
- Collagen decreases hair thinning. Collagen improves the elasticity of the skin and hair. During normal aging, hair becomes thinner as less collagen is produced. By increasing collagen the hair will grow better and be thicker.
- Collagen can slow graying. As we age the cells responsible for the color of our hair begin to die. Melanin cells are also impacted by poor diet, stress, and pollutants from the environment. Because collagen fights the free radicals that damage the cells responsible for hair color, increasing collagen can slow the graying process.
- Collagen helps maintain a healthy scalp. Just like with our other skin collagen helps thicken the skin of the scalp. When the skin is thicker and healthier the hair follicles are better able to hold the hair in place. This improves the ability of the hair to grow and stay thicker.
How to add collagen to your routine
The easiest way to get the benefits of collagen is by adding it to your diet through foods and supplements. Bone broth is a great source of collagen and can be eaten alone or used as a base for soups. Other foods that boost collagen production include fish, poultry, meat, eggs, dairy, legumes, and soy.
Increasing Vitamin C intake through eating fruits and vegetables or taking a vitamin supplement can increase your body’s production of collagen.
Or you may choose to take a collagen supplement. Collagen supplements are available in pill or powder form.
Healthy habits to improve natural collagen
Healthy lifestyle habits can also support your body in producing more collagen. These habits will help:
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin
- Get adequate sleep
- Avoid smoking or secondhand smoke exposure
- Control your stress levels
- Participate in regular physical activity
To learn more about how collagen may benefit your hair, skin, and overall wellness speak with one of our specialists at Vitality Aesthetics and Regenerative Medicine today.